Monday, December 19, 2011

Is turning on my VPN interfering with my wireless connection?

I'm abroad and have been using a VPN to watch hulu and such things, but my connection to my homestay's wi fi keeps losing connection, and we have to call the company to fix it. There's no reason to believe that the VPN is causing it, but I was wondering if that's a possibility, and whether I should avoid using it.|||I'm not sure if you're talking about the Wi-Fi where you are or at your home. Regardless running a VPN tunnel through Wi-Fi should not cause the Wi-Fi signal itself to fail. You are of course adding overhead which may reduce the overall throughput (it will cause slower download speeds). Streaming video can eat up bandwidth but alone (not in a VPN tunnel) never causes me any problems. But when you put video in a VPN tunnel then you're talking about a whole lotta bandwidth. So what you might be experiencing is not the Wi-Fi dropping, but a lot of dropped packets that cause the tunnel to drop or the video to stutter or freeze.





Just a guess.|||i am not sure that you are connected to wifi is ok or maybe any other isue with wifi, exchange your vpn connection with new one and check ....|||yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment